Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Closing Thoughts on the Semester

This post is exclusively about my experiences in "Information 3.0: Exploring Technological Tools," an I-series course offered at the University of Maryland, College Park, that I took during this past Fall semester. The only way to describe it is "unlike any other." It's a course that teaches you how to examine the advantages and disadvantages of using various Internet and mobile applications, learn about people’s general attitudes and behaviors with regard to this type of media, and answer some tough questions on the future of technology and the spread of information. Moreover, it helps you get a grasp of some of the functions of technological tools that currently exist as well as predict at least some of the near endless possibilities that advancement in this field will bring.
            My mind has perpetually been in a state of conflict when it comes to understanding what being “technologically literate” really means. Does it mean having all the latest gadgets there at your disposal? Or does it mean having a reasonably good understanding of their operations and usefulness? Should I even care? On the one hand, I don’t want to feel pressured into purchasing the “classiest” devices in the market, but on the other, I don’t want to be left behind. I presume many people feel the same way. This was one of the many reasons why I decided to take Info 3.0. Now, I’ve understood that assessing the actual worth of a device or application is essential to making a cost-effective decision on whether or not to purchase. This doesn’t only apply to purchases, but even to tools that are free, such as many social-networks. Throughout the semester, my classmates and I have been engaging with Twitter and Facebook to upload technology-related news and personal events real-time. In relation to my blog-topic, I had also taken a survey to analyze the effects social-networking is having on college students in India. (A more elaborate explanation of this is provided in one of my previous posts). Thus, almost every project and discussion we’ve had in this class has led us to this question – Are we becoming too dependent on technology? While the answer does vary from individual-to-individual, the fact of the matter is that there will come a point, most probably in our lifetime, when every aspect of our life, from our work to our family to our entertainment, is digitized. Therefore, it is imperative that we prepare for this by evaluating technology at each step of the way and identify the features that are more useful to us than others.

           Our classroom discussions this semester have spanned a wide variety of topics including online privacy and security, netiquette, searching vs. surfing, Internet and cell phone dependence, mobile applications, blogging, photojournalism, social-networking, education and gaming. Some of the most interesting aspects of this class were that we were allowed to use laptops for every class and we got an iPod Touch towards the end of the semester on which we took a couple of interviews using a recording app. Overall, I recommend every student to take this class so that you can find out for yourself what it means to be technologically literate!

18 comments:

  1. I found your blog when I was looking for a different sort of information but
    I was very happy and glad to read through your blog. Thanks for sharing.
    Web design Sheffield

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was about to say something on this topic. But now i can see that everything on this topic is very amazing and mind blowing, so i have nothing to say here. I am just going through all the topics and being appreciated. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As these are text loans by sms, a borrower is not needed to put any insurance here for the loan's security sum. Additionally, text loans are an open present for those individuals, who are having the shame of bad credit in their record. These stores are offered to them with no wavering regardless of the possibility that they have back payments, defaults, indebtedness, late installments, IVAs in their record. This is conceivable only as a result of no credit check process, which is out from these loan arranges now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know where I'm going and I know the truth, and I don't have to be what you want me to be. I'm free to be what I want.Thankyou i really love it

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice post!..good information,it is really helpful..it really impressed me alot and i just loved it.Thanks for posting such an informative content:
    @ Local Packers And Movers Bangalore

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for taking the time to discuss and share this with us, I for one feel strongly about it and really enjoyed learning more about this topic. Please share some more useful info on Ayurveda clinic in sharjah also. I can see that you possess a degree of expertise on this subject.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice article and great information thanks for sharing your thoughts.
    Best cbse curriculum school in sharjah

    ReplyDelete

  9. Hey Nice Blog!!! Thank you for sharing information. Wonderful blog & good post.Its really helpful for me, waiting for a more new post. Keep Blogging!
    CBSE schools in ajman

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for sharing such great information.Please share good post on best school in dubai also.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for sharing great article. Keep sharing good stuff.
    list of best schools in sharjah

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am frequent visitor of your website as i love to read out the articles posted on your website. At the same time i request to post some great article on Lviv National Medical Universityand similar as well. Thanks !!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is a great inspiring article.I am pretty much pleased with your good work. Please share good post on Handmade Moroccan Carpet also Keep it up. Keep blogging. Looking to reading your next post.

    ReplyDelete
  14. A person tampering with another's computer source documents shall be punishable with imprisonment up to 3 years or with fine, which may extend up to Rs.2 lakhs ($4,507), or with both. block print kurtis wholesale , wholesale winter kurti , wholesale kurtis , wholesale kurti manufacturers , indo western kurtis wholesale , kurtis tops wholesale manufacturer

    ReplyDelete
  15. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete